Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Highway 80 Strategy - Action...

If you don't know - I worked for nearly 18 months on the Highway 80 Strategy for the City of Jackson.  Yes it is a pipe dream, but without a dream you have nothing.  Anyway, when we finished I honestly thought it would sit on a few desks at the City and collect dust or become a door stop.  It seems that I was wrong.  The City Council has started implementing our recommendations...starting at the top...land use and zoning.  Since September they have adopted the amendments to the land use plan, thoroughfares plan and zoning map and ordinance.  Here is the link to the most recent article on the project. 

No joke - when I applied to grad school, my personal statement started with a paragraph about how I would attend board meetings with my granddad before I even started school and how I have since learned that the decision that board made 20 years ago determined the way my little, two traffic light hometown looked now as a 7 traffic light town with a Lowes, Super Walmart and (the ultimate) a Chick-Fil-A.  It still has the same look and feel that it had when 10,000 people lived in the county - and I wanted to help other towns for this very reason.  And now - I am doing that...I have realized that dream.

1 comment:

Susan said...

You go, girl! Applause for you!